Thursday, December 10, 2015

Garlic and Black Pepper Roasted Cauliflower

Yum
Some foods are special to us because of the memories we associate with them. Every time we make or eat these, they remind us of a particular time or incident from the past. This pan roasted cauliflower recipe has a special place in my heart because it takes me back to my elementary school days when mom used to pack me lunch. It was always a pleasant surprise to open my lunchbox and find the roasted cauliflower simply seasoned with salt and pepper. Over the years as I started cooking for myself, this recipe has evolved perhaps because my taste has evolved. Roasting brings out the sweetness of cauliflower, so in addition to the salt and pepper seasoning, I like adding garlic to balance out that subtle sweetness, and fresh cilantro and lemon juice to really make the flavor pop!


DSC_4469.JPG


Ingredients
1 head of cauliflower
3-4 cloves of garlic, minced
Salt
Black pepper
1 tsp oil
Chopped cilantro for garnish (optional)
Lemon juice (optional)


Chop the cauliflower into small florets. Heat oil over medium high heat. I like using a nonstick pot for this since it doesn’t need too much oil. If using a steel pot, add a little more oil. Once oil is heated, add the garlic and cauliflower, and mix well. Sprinkle a pinch of salt, cover and cook until the cauliflower is a little tender. Keep stirring occasionally to get an even cook and to ensure the cauliflower at the bottom doesn’t burn. Add ground black pepper and more salt if required, continue to cook until cauliflower is tender to your liking. I like it a little crunchy when eating as a side, but I cook it until it is fairly soft and browned if I plan to serve it with roti. Once cooked, take it off the heat, mix in chopped cilantro, squeeze some lemon juice on top and serve hot.


DSC_4459.JPG


~Gayatri


Find us on Facebook:

Simple ingredients bring out the best flavors in fresh vegetables! Here's an easy recipe for garlic & black pepper...

Posted by The Cooks of Cake and Kindness on Thursday, December 10, 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment