Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Mixed Berry Cake

Yum
I love using fruit for baking cakes - it gives a wonderfully refreshing taste. Generally I add chopped fruit to the batter, but for this cake I used pureed berries (a lot of them!), and it really helped enhance the flavor as well as add moisture.

DSC_1682.JPG

This recipe is good for a 9 or 10” round pan, or 2 small (8x4) loaves. I used 1 (8x8) square pan and one little 3” round one for the leftover batter. The cake rises quite a bit so I ended up with fairly tall cakes with a nice crispy crust while the berries helped keep the cake moist.

Ingredients:
3 cups flour (I used 1 cup wheat, 2 cups all purpose flour)
1.5 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
pinch of salt
1-1.5 cups crushed/pureed berries (I used frozen strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries which were completely thawed before pureeing in food processor, leaving some chunks in)
1 cup oil (I used canola)
3 eggs

Heat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour baking pan(s).

Mix all the dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs and oil. Add this to the dry ingredients. Add the pureed berries and mix until well combined (don’t over beat - using a spatula would suffice).


IMG_4693.jpg

Pour the lovely purple batter into prepared baking pans and bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to an hour (depending on your pan size, oven type etc) until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let the cake cool completely before removing from pan.


IMG_4699.jpg

IMG_4701.jpg

~Gayatri

Note: If you don’t like to bite into the seeds, don't use the raspberries. However, they were quite soft after baking and I didn’t mind them at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment