Sunday, April 24, 2016

Baked Spinach Artichoke Chicken Dip

Yum
One of my husband’s favorite appetizers is spinach artichoke dip - two healthy greens turned into somewhat of an indulgence with warm, gooey, garlicky melty cheese. Sometimes, if we are not particularly hungry, we’ll split an order of spinach artichoke dip for a meal, and we always run out of dip before we’ve used up the chips that come with it! I had never really thought about trying to make my own spinach artichoke dip. While I usually have frozen spinach on standby in the freezer, artichoke almost never makes it to my weekly shopping list. I had tried using fresh artichoke once before, many years ago, and it was pretty disastrous. Recently, however, I started experimenting with soufflés and have regularly gotten canned artichokes - much easier to work with! With both spinach and artichoke on hand, I decided it was time to give this favorite appetizer a try. For additional substance, I tossed in some shredded chicken breast to make it a little more meal-worthy.

IMG_5738.JPG

Ingredients:
1 can artichoke hearts (about 8-10 hearts), coarsely chopped
~10oz chopped spinach (I used frozen, thawed & drained)
~1.5 cups chicken breast, cooked and shredded
8oz cream cheese (I used reduced fat)
~6oz plain Greek yogurt (I used fat-free)
~½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
~1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
3-4 garlic cloves, minced

IMG_5711_crop.jpg

Heat oven to 375°F.

In a large bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix until cream cheese and yogurt are incorporated, but no need to make it a homogenous mixture - pockets of melty cheese are wonderful when eating!

 IMG_5713.JPG

Transfer the mixture to a baking dish and bake for 20-25 minutes, until the cheese at the edges begins to brown. Allow sufficient cooling time to prevent burned tongues, top with more parmesan, then dig in with crackers or chips!

 IMG_5724.JPG

~Karla

Find us on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment